Thursday, September 1, 2011

New Beginnings in August

Whew. I don't know about everywhere else, but it's HOT here! We thought we had left the days of 100 degree weather back in July, but boy were we wrong! Yesterday was hot, today was hotter, and tomorrow will be another day of hot. I thought September meant Fall was coming?! Maybe not in Kansas City...

After a relatively busy morning, I've decided to avoid the heat and spend my time in the air conditioning blogging and, you guessed it, applying for jobs. Exciting, I know. But I am pretty worn out. This morning I got up early to beat the heat and went on a short run before showering and taking one of our friends, Loran, to the airport. Loran is also a medical school wife and, coincidentally, graduated with both her husband, Rob, and Brandon from DePauw. We have spent many hours bonding over a glass of wine and wondering how our husbands are really doing. Haha. Anyway, after dropping her off, I picked up some Subway and met Brandon at school for lunch. It was fun to see more of campus and get to see what his daily life is like. But, boy, did I stick out like a sore thumb. Next time, I will borrow a pair of scrubs or dress in work clothes. When you don't, everyone watches you and wonders what it is exactly that you are doing in their world. Lesson learned!

Let's catch up on August, then we can continue this blog in real time! ;-)

White Coat Ceremony:
Brandon attended orientation at school the whole first week of August. He was gone from 7am-6pm most of the days. So began my days of trying to keep busy. However, on Wednesday evening, the school had a picnic at Livestrong Stadium. We got to have dinner and attend the KC Sporting MLS game for free. Thursday was another family-oriented day, with the White Coat Ceremony in the evening with a dinner reception following. It was a proud moment for me as I watched Brandon receive his white coat and say the Oath of Commitment, making him official member of the KCUMB Class of 2015. If you're interested in seeing the ceremony, it's available here for another few days.

The future Dr. Brandon in his new white coat!

Royals v. Red Sox Game:
As many of you know, Brandon is a die-hard Red Sox fan. While neither of us has ever been to Fenway Park, the Royals v. Red Sox game that we attended a few weeks ago, makes the third Red Sox game we have attended together in the course of our relationship. I love Major League Baseball (though I am a die-hard Indians fan...rain or shine!), so I am so excited to be living in a city with a MLB team. Kauffman Stadium is only about 20 minutes away and, like Indians tickets these days, tickets to Royals' games are cheap. We were able to sit along the third-base line to witness a Red Sox win for about $15 each. We had a blast at the game and are really looking forward to tomorrow evening -- look for us behind the Indians dugout in Cleveland gear tomorrow evening! Go Tribe!

Kansas City is the City of Fountains because everywhere you go, you can find one, event at Kauffman Stadium!

And with that short novel, I am signing off for the day! Next time, I will try to keep it shorter -- no promises though as there are a lot of exciting things going on in the next 10 days! Hasta luego, amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment