Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

Happy Tuesday! I hope everyone's Labor Day weekend was a fun and relaxing as mine!

The weekend began with a rather hot, but fun evening with Brandon at the Indians v. Royals game. Though the game was a bit nail-biting toward the end, the Indians pulled off a win for the night and we even got to see Jim Thome play -- and almost got his autograph! Be sure to check out Facebook for some of the many pictures I took from the fabulous seats we had along the third base line!

That was pretty much the last I saw of Brandon all weekend, as he has his first set of medical school finals this week. (In fact, he is probably in the middle of his lab practical as we speak.) Thankfully, Mom was able to fly in and spend some quality girl time with me! 

Saturday morning I set off to the City Market for some corn and vegetables for grilling, then spent some quality time at my favorite coffee shop, Caribou Coffee (love, love, love their campfire mocha!), before heading to the airport to pick up Mom! Since Saturday was still a bit hot, we spent most of our time inside -- we grabbed some lunch on our way home from the airport, played a little Scrabble, enjoyed dinner at Blue Moose with Brandon, then watched some tv before turning in early. On Sunday the weather cooled down some here, which made showing Mom around Kansas City a lot more enjoyable! We went for a walk along my running route before heading down to the Country Club Plaza for some shopping, where we both found some new fall outfits! That evening we introduced Mom to homemade bbq pulled pork -- and I think it was a hit!

Monday was our last day to explore, so after our morning walk, we met up with my friend Loran and her dog, Mac, and headed down to the Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens. It was a bit of a drive, but well worth it! The park was gorgeous! We set off for a 1-mile hike around one of the mulched trails...but after awhile, we realized that somewhere along the way we had jumped onto another trail. We were all thankful for the beautiful weather and made the best of it as we continued to wind our way through the park back toward the visitor's center. After a short food and drink break, we explored part of the botanical gardens and decided that, when all was said and done, we had probably walked a good 3 miles! Mom and I know that Dad would be proud (of our hike, not our lack of map-reading skills).

Mom and I by the pond in the Overland Park Botanical Gardens.

Our fabulous weekend visit was topped off by a delicious dinner at home with Brandon. Mom taught me how to make a beer can chicken on the grill and we had that with some grilled City Market veggies. On top of learning all about antibodies, spirituality in medicine, and a number of other medical topics, Brandon successfully learned how to carve a roasted chicken! Of course we had to top of dinner with some Yogurtini before relaxing on the couch for the evening. 

I was sad to see Mom go, but so glad she was able to come visit! This week will be short and productive - we have so much to do before flying to Indiana on Friday morning! I suppose I had better get started on that to-do list....

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, WALK along the running route doesn't seem right!! Glad you had fun! Laura will be jealous to know you have Blue Moose. We had it in Vail and it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. There are 3 Blue Moose restaurants in the KC Metro area -- come visit any time! :)

    ReplyDelete